CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Mexican Lasagna

1 lb gound beef
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 can diced jalapeno peppers (optional)
1 large can tomato sauce
1 can corn (canned works best; frozen gets mushy)
1 can black or pinto beans
lots of grated cheese (about 2 C)
Corn tortillas (about 16)
Salsa

Brown beef and onion with a little salt and pepper. I am a purist and don't use taco seasoning, but I understand if you do. Sometimes I am sneaky and even add in some grated carrot or zucchini with these. Or whatever else I need to get rid of from the garden. When all brown, add peppers if you so desire. In a greased cake pan, pour in some tomato sauce, enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Cover with tortillas, which will be your "lasagna noodles"; usually 4 will do it. Pour on half the meat mixture. Cover with more tortillas. Pour on more tomato sauce. Cover with beans and corn, followed by a layer of cheese. Sometimes I am sneaky here as well and put on a layer of spinach before the cheese. What can I say? I am just sneaky and desperate to get rid of garden veggies. Layer on the tortillas, and slop on the tomato sauce. Put on the last of the meat mixture and cover with corn tortillas. Use the last of the tomato sauce and put in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes. Pull out, cover with more cheese and back in for 5 minutes. Pull out and let cool slightly before cutting. Serve with salsa. Or by itself. Yum. I need to figure out times in the crock pot, but know this can work for that, too.

0 comments: