CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grandma Baldwin's Chocolate Cake

Grandma Baldwin used to make this fabulous, dense, chocolate cake on Sundays when she knew the family was coming to visit. She'd only spread a very thin layer of frosting on top and I've been craving it. (Maybe it's because I miss her.) So my mom found the recipe and I made it this weekend. It was just as good as Grandma's but I used an entire can of frosting, which made it even better.

2 c sugar
1 c shortening
4 eggs
3 c flour
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 c milk + 1 T vinegar
1 c boiling water
6 T cocoa

Cream sugar, shortening, eggs. Add dry ingredients. Then blend in milk, vinegar, boiling water, and cocoa. This makes a very large cake. I baked mine in a 9 1/2 x 13 1/2 and it was super thick. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. So good.


5 comments:

Damien and Ashley

Thanks for posting this recipe! Can't wait to try it. I loved it when Grandma made this. I miss her too!

kjjaco5

What about your frosing? I always have trouble with frosting.

Natalie

The frosting came straight from a can. It was just the "classic chocolate" variety from Betty Crocker.

Halli

This sounds awesome! I'm going to have to try this one!

Emily

Thanks for bringing us a chunk of this deliciousness! I miss Grandma, too. She was an excellent cook. Also, thanks for using a little more frosting than she did. It makes it that much better!